Thursday 14 April 2011

Better write something...

Given that I haven’t blogged for over a week I really thought I’d make an effort tonight. However I’ve proved myself wrong and I ain’t going to make to much effort. That can be saved until something really interesting happens such as my first Reed Warbler of the year in the net (which is slightly overdue)or two nests of Marsh Harrier in Weymouth.

Ringing has been quiet with a few Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler being caught at Abbotsbury, pretty routine stuff. Birding has been very similar with the odd Whitethroat starting to appear which adds a little variety to all the Reed and Sedge Warbler now singing at Radipole. Migration really has come to a halt this week. Last week was hotting up nicely with Dorset hosting a Woodchat Shrike and a Whiskered Tern but this weeks highlight so far for me was a distant Little Tern at Ferrybridge a few days ago which was defiantly a nice surprise but not completely unexpected given the time of year. Will talk about Little Tern in a couple of weeks as last year they had an incredible year but that will wait for another blog post.
A quick trip to Wales last week didn't produce anything decent on the avian front but did have a superb walk up Pen-y-fan with my bro. It is the highest peak in the Brecon Beacons.

Was quite amazed by the amount of moths on the summit! Emporer moths were everywhere but photos weren't easy, this was the best I could get. Wales is home to good populations of this moth but I have never seen so many all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment