Thursday 2 June 2011

Cuckoo with food!

My last blog post was entitled ‘Cuckoo food’. It was shear chance that I noticed a few days ago that a few decent pictures were being taken from the North Hide at RSPB Radipole Lake. So yesterday evening I set off with me camera hoping to get a shot for myself. I’ve tried many times over the past few weeks and have only ended up with what can only be described as rubbish. However, last night my luck had changed and look what I came back with!


On the RSPB Radipole forum page a reserve regular posted a picture of the bird with a large caterpillar in its beak. Incredible it decided it was hungry and pounced on this beauty!

Amazing experience being seeing all this happening, though it was easy to forget about the problems that face Cuckoos in the UK. I am sure most of you know about the decline and it’s a common for people to ask me when in work, where all the Cuckoos have gone. But for this year at least they seem to be doing OK though we haven’t seen a female at Radipole so fingers crossed this fella’s efforts aren’t in vane.
Here’s one last atmospheric shot of him flying around over the reeds at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment