Thursday 4 August 2011

A day of firsts

This all actually happened a few days ago but hadn’t found chance to blog. First up was a new species ringed by me at Abbotsbury. These are quite scarce at the site and I think only a handful have been ringed there by Steve over the last 16 years! Its a Whitethroat.

Ringings been ticking over nicely at the site over the last week with most visits producing 80 or so birds. Garden Warbler has featured in most visits but unfortunately no more Groppers yet. When the acros quieten down we then switch on the swallow tape for a while and as well as Swallows we’ve caught a few of these.

Over the next few weeks we will probably catch a lot of Swallows as number of passage birds starts to build up.
Also on Tuesday I found a new species for Radipole Lake. Its something I’ve had my eye on for a while but up until now have failed to find any. To get a record shot I asked Allan Neilson who’s one of Radipoles incredible volunteers, to stand around with his 400mm lense and photograph this small insect which wouldn’t come anywhere near the bank. Amazingly he came back with this photo of a Small Red eyed Damselfly!

This afternoon I re-visited the Lodmoor Stilt Sandpiper which has now moved onto the main moor which makes it a hell of a lot easier to see compared to where it was first. I managed a few pictures most of which looked like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment