Saturday 19 January 2013

The white stuff

My gull watching efforts were rewarded last Wednesday when a rather smart 2nd winter Iceland Gull dropped in. It was rather obliging and instead of disappearing after five minutes, (which is what normally happens) it stuck around long enough for a few people to get down and see it. No sign of since however, which is annoying as I didn’t have my camera at the time so this picture taken with my phone (through a scope though!) will have to do. Although, saying that, I can't seem to up load any photo's for some reason! I'll just leave a gap to fit it in later.




Starting to make this a bit of a habit but better photo’s can be found on Brett’s blog. http://bretteeblahblahblah.blogspot.co.uk/ (I wrote that last sentence before I discovered I couldn't upload a photo but it will make sense once the photo's in...)

Yesterday saw more white things turning up at Radipole, this time snow flakes! I always get excited when snows forecast for Weymouth as I should bring in good numbers of birds. Today was no exception and I tallied up a total of 1528 Skylark, 1420 Golden Plover with smaller numbers of thrushes and finches. The big surprise of the day was the lack of Lapwing. The last two snowy occasions, Lapwing have been pretty much top of the totals list but today count was a dismal six! No decent ducks and the only goodies to be found was a single Woodlark which went over first thing and an odd glimpse of a Black Redstart flying over the reedbed heading for Westham. A very memorable day indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment