Wednesday 26 January 2011

Gull Grabbing at the seaside

After a few days of not ringing I was itching to get out try out my new gull site. A few weeks ago I was looking for a reported Glaucous Gull in Weymouth harbour and noticed a very tame Great black backed Gull which was feeding from someones hand. Since then I've got permission to ring around the edge of the harbour. This afternoon I dragged Terry out to see if we could get our hands on some gulls. On the way to the harbour I got a 2nd winter Herring Gull which was already ringed. Would be nice if its a control but theres' been quite a few Herring Gull ringed around Weymouth, mostly young birds which have been reared in captivity as a result of falling off roofs etc.




Down at the harbour the gulls didn't seem to keen but Terry caught a fine looking adult herring gull (which then caught him!) then I got a Black headed Gull. On the way back to the cars we stopped again at Radipole where I got hold of another two Black headed gulls.




Totals were:
Black headed Gull -  3 new
Herring Gull - 1 new, 1 retrap.

Must also mention that yesterday afternoon in work, we got a call from a member of the public who said they had Waxwings outside their house. Went along to check it out and after a 40 minute wait three Waxwings descended onto a small rowan tree at Canterbury Close on Cobham Drive. A few quick calls and a a few birders got onto them before dusk. They are back at the tree today so must get along soon for some nice picies. In the mean time I'll post a picture of a Waxwing I took in Wales a few winters ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment