Saturday 29 January 2011

I'd better blog about something.

I am fully aware that I haven't blogged for a few days, mainly due to my days being pretty routine and the ringing consisting of some more Coot, Tufted duck, Black headed Gulls, Herring Gull and my favourite, Woodcock.

I've just got back from another trip out with the lamp. Caught a few birds a couple of nights ago so thought I'd make the most of there being no moon during the earlier hours of the night. Only saw a maximum of three birds on the fields and caught one. The other two didn't allow me to get anywhere near them. Took this picture of the tail feathers. The underneath are superbly white, I guess these are display feathers or possibly used to distract predators?? I will endeavour to find out.



This is me with my well earned Woodcock. They really are incredible birds tho this one appears to have blinked when the photo was taken.



I am now starting to look forward to spring and the first migrants starting to come through. I was walking through the reed beds at Radipole earlier and thought of Reed Warblers singing, this usually happens to me this time of year. Same thing usually happens in August when I start looking forward to large flocks of ducks and waders.

Must finish by mentioning a mates blog which has a film of me catching a Herring Gull at Radipole the other morning. It also saves me writing about that mornings session! Cheers Steve.

http://stevesbirdingblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/ringing-at-radipole.html

No comments:

Post a Comment