Saturday 26 February 2011

A welsh birder in Wales (briefly)

Had to go back to Wales for the day yesterday for some family related stuff and on arriving Thursday evening I found out that the Long-billed Dowitcher has now returned to Radipole. The first day it was found in Weymouth it spent a few hours at Radipole but I was in Exeter. This meant that I didn’t see it at Radipole. So on the way back from not hearing booming bitterns at Lodmoor I stopped off at Radipole where it was fast asleep on the island outside the visitor centre. The sun wasn’t up yet so it undoubtedly roosted on there. I arrived back at the VC at 9am to start work and was greeted to this sight!



Its currently standing outside the visitor centre getting soaking wet which is why I am in the office writing this as there ain’t a lot else to do.
Before heading to Wales Thursday I got a few pics of this superb Med Gull which is pretty much in breeding plumage, something we’ll see a lot more of over the next few weeks.

We’ve also been getting a few of these passing through

The always pass through this time of year so for me they are a real sign of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment