Thursday 1 November 2012

Can't beat a bit of bully

Despite a pretty dodgy weather forecast I ventured out onto the fleet a little bit before first light in the hope of doing a bit of ringing. Some net rides were fairly sheltered so I decided to give it a try though distant thunder and lightning had me a little concerned but thankfully it passed me by but managed to hit Portland where I’m sure there were several eager ringers waiting for the weather to pass.
The morning proved worthwhile as just under 30 birds were trapped, not all new birds as the resident Long-tailed Tit flock arrived with several carrying rings from last Autumn. Nice to know they are still about. A Bullfinch (which I forgot to take a photo of) was a nice capture, my first there this autumn (not that I’ve been at clouds hill much this autumn) but little else in the way of new arrivals. A few Chiffchaff and Goldcrest were also caught but all the Robins from Tuesdays visit were long gone. As had the Ring Ouzels and other thrushes. Strong westerlies look set in for a next week so probably no big arrivals of finches or thrushes are on the cards.
A shot of one of the Chiffchaffs this morning. Would have been a picture of the Bullfinch which would have been much more fitting given my choice of blog title but as I said early, I forgot to get the camera out! Chiffchaffs are nice though...

No comments:

Post a Comment