Friday 2 September 2011

Caspo the unfriendly Gull

Spent a few hours yesterday evening waiting for the Caspian Gull to show up again but it didn’t. It wasn’t seen at all through the day so I was really lucky to be at the visitor centre at the right time! It may show up again somewhere but in the meantime Ian Stanley who found the bird has very kindly allowed me to use his pictures.


Interestingly, Ian has found the last few Caspian Gulls at Radipole. They are very rare in Dorset with only 4 records I think, with this one being the 5th? Someone correct me if I am wrong!
Whilst waiting last night a single Yellow legged Gull showed up. This ones getting well into 1st winter plumage.

Especially when compared to another Yellow legged Gull taken earlier in the day which is in pretty much juvy plumage.

Went ringing this morning hoping for a birthday goodie but had to make do with about 50 of the normal migrants you’d expect at this time of year. Did however get some interesting overhead passage. 2 Grey Wags, 1 Reed Bunting, at least 15 Tree Pipit, 3 Meadow Pipit, c.180 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Sandwich Tern and best of all three Tree Sparrow heading west! My first in Dorset.

1 comment: