Friday 13 April 2012

Pierre the Willow Warbler

A very short ringing session this evening at clouds hill produced its first foreign control! A French Willow Warbler!


Lots of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs have been moving through over the last few days which resulted in a decent catch of 60 birds yesterday morning. Failed to go out this morning so thought an evening session might produce a few birds. In just 45 minutes fifteen ‘phylloscs’ which included Pierre the Willow Warbler were ringed.  Yesterday’s session also got my first Whitethroat of the year.



Passerines are not the only birds moving through at the moment. This Osprey was fishing along the fleet this evening. Sorry about the rubbish picture!


Whilst the Osprey was flying around this Heron managed to get in the shot. I don’t whether it was the evening light but doesn’t the colouration look at bit odd. Photo’s too terrible to figure out any detail but Purple Heron went through my mind briefly when I saw the photo.

 Clearly Grey Heron is the more likely candidate but there wouldn’t be any confusion if I managed a photo like this one. (nice setup for another holiday pic eh?)



As you might have guessed, it was taken in Spain last week. I’ve pretty much run out of photo’s now so this is probably the last time I’m go on about my trip. Shame I know, but I’ll finish this post by thanking my mate and ringing companion Steve for arranging the trip! Also must thank Steve Norman and Dan (who was there for the first few days of our trip) who were both great company whilst out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment