Wednesday 25 May 2011

A frustrating hobby!

Spent yesterday at the beautiful RSPB reserve Ham Wall, reason being was a female Red-footed Falcon which has been ‘showing well’ since Sunday afternoon. Yesterday was my first day off since the weekend so off I went. A message came up on the pager mid morning saying it was still ‘showing well’. That was exactly what I wanted to hear! On arrival I was met by several bored and frustrated birders not watching a Red-footed Falcon. I had forgotten that Ham Wall is a mega place to see Hobby which made looking for a very similar small falcon quite tricky. After nearly 5 hours it finally decided to show up allowing this very dodgy record shot to be taken.
It stayed distant all the time but at least the wait was worth it. Luckily, Ham Wall has plenty of other things to see whilst your waiting for something to show up. I must have had 14 sightings of Bittern plus I heard three ‘boomers’. A Great White Egret flew over the site plus hundreds of Dragonflies which obviously attract the hoards of Hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment