Saturday 7 May 2011

Twitching Insects?!

I still find twitching insect slightly odd especially when it’s a moth in a pot but today I found myself headed straight to Portland after an early morning update on the bird observatory website alerted me to the presence of a Patton’s Tiger which is an incredibly rare moth in the UK. According the obs website it’s the 4th record for the UK following the third which was trapped yesterday on the Isle of Wight. Here’s a picture of the little beauty!

Whilst at the observatory this rather handsome fellow was making good use of the fences. In my opinion it was slightly out done by the moth but on a normal day this would have easily been the highlight of the day. It is of course a male Red-backed Shrike.

That was pretty much my day over as the rest of it was spent in work where the best bird of the day (apart from usual Marsh Harriers and such like) was this Common Gull. Quite a good record for May at Radipole.

I must finish by going back to my original point about twitching insects. This is second time I’ve done it this week so perhaps this may become a bit more regular? I did suggest to myself at the start of the year that I would do a Butterfly year list. Not too late to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment