Thursday 2 February 2012

My first Woodock Recovery

Received my first Woodcock recovery yesterday! Since the creation of the Woodcock Network (http://www.ringwoodcock.net/) there have been recoveries from all over Europe including several from Russia. So where has my first recovery come from? Approx 1 mile from where I ringed at Abbotsbury!
However, this is still very interesting. I often think that the Woodcock that occur on the fleet are largely migrants or birds pushed from elsewhere during cold weather. So far this winter I have seen only a couple of woodcock at Abbotsbury compared to the dozens I was seeing this time last year. So you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was a bird ringed in January 2010 and was also retrapped in February 2010. This suggests that at least some Woodcock along the fleet are site faithful. Lets hope my next one if from Russia though!

No comments:

Post a Comment